Monday, December 01, 2008

Books I've Read Recently

Feed, by MT Anderson (finished this evening)
I didn't think it would end the way it did, but I was glad for it. I felt like I agreed with the author on the basic idea of the book. American culture, more and more each day, teaches us to be consumers, not humans. People -are- losing themselves in what they buy, and in the act of buying. Just the other day, a close friend said to me, "I went to VS and bought nice new bras. I was sad and just needed a pick-me-up." I wasn't surprised at the action, just at her readiness to admit the reason behind it.

Anyway, I'm glad I read it because I think it has good/scary ideas and an interesting premise, but I won't say I liked it. The language got in the way, for me. It was intriguing, couldn't have been written any other way, and I understand why it was written in that style. I just didn't like it. The dehumanization of every single American scared me. The adults sound just as stupid as their idiot children. Friends are easily bought and even more easily discarded when they show signs of their humanity. It was so sad.


The Beautiful Miscellaneous, by Dominic Smith (finished yesterday)
A boy who cannot live up to his father's dreams.

I liked the way this was written. I like the poetry inherent in synaesthesia, which is why I bought the book in the first place. After having finished it, I can say I'm glad I read this book now. I think I would have gotten something different out of this book if I'd read it at a different time in my life, but right now what I got out of it is that as humans we need to have the ability to trust ourselves. To trust in ourselves. The path is never clear, and no matter how much we wish we could will it into being, there's no way to know what is in store for us.

Nathan (our protagonist) is nearly the polar opposite of Titus (of Feed). Nathan spends the entire book thinking, feeling, and wishing. For Titus, it is hard to think, he tries not to feel, and there is no point in wishing, since the second he wishes for something, he has it. They could learn a lesson from one another -- Nathan needs to relax a little, stop putting so much pressure on himself, and Titus could use a little motivation.

They'd hate each other in the beginning, but I think they'd be friends.


Harry, a History, by Melissa Anelli (finished last week)
Melissa started following me on Twitter today. She's my facebook friend and although I've never met her, I feel like I know her after having read this book. I feel like we would be friends.

It was a great book. Wonderful book. I cried, I laughed, I cried some more... it made me miss Harry Potter and want to read it all over again (which I'm sure I will soon) and it made me feel so incredibly lucky to have been a part of the HP phenomenon. I mean... I want to have kids for the sole purpose of being able to introduce them to Harry Potter. (Not anytime soon... no worries.) I miss it so much, all of the speculation, theories, debates... I was glad to read this book and re-live it through Melissa's eyes, matching up her timeline against mine. (Who knew I had been reading it before she was?) If a book can be friendly, Harry, a History most certainly is.


Oryx & Crake, by Margaret Atwood (current)
I just started; I am on page 23. So far, so good.

Love,
Monica

No comments: